Anaphylaxis is a rare but very serious condition and it is vital that all employees working in a healthcare environment are aware of the condition, including its causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment. This course will benefit leaners by providing them with a furthered knowledge of anaphylaxis, including the symptoms, how to treat it and appropriate actions to take if you suspect someone to be suffering from an anaphylaxis reaction.
On completion of this Virtual College course learners will:
- Have an understanding about what anaphylaxis is and how it happens
- Understand its relation to allergy
- Have an understanding about different causes and their prevalence
- Understand what symptoms people can present with
- Know how to treat someone suffering with an anaphylactic reaction
- Be aware of the route of administration for adrenaline and doses required for different age groups
- Have reflected on local resources in relation to anaphylaxis management
- Be able to demonstrate your knowledge about anaphylaxis via an online assessment
Areas covered include:
- An Introduction to Anaphylaxis
- Spectrum of allergy severity
- Potential Causes of Anaphylaxis
- Signs and Symptoms of Anaphylaxis
- Distinguishing between Allergy and Anaphylaxis
- Observation and Assessment
- Using a Structured Approach to Assessment
- The ABCDE Approach
- Treatment of Anaphylaxis Reactions
- Secondary Treatment
- The Risk of Anaphylaxis in Your Work Area and Follow-up
The content of this Virtual College course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines
On completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 2 - 3 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like, and there is no limit on how long you can take to do the course.
This course is aimed at all employees working in the Health Care Sector.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.