This course provides learners with a good basic knowledge of 5S, a Japanese management productivity tool.
5S focuses on ensuring that the workplace stays clean and orderly, so that a safer, more productive and pleasant working environment can be maintained. The course looks at what each of the 5 Ss involves, offering examples of how it could be done in practice. There is also a module offering a handy summary of the key tasks to be undertaken for each S.
Having completed this Virtual College 5S course learners will understand:
- the reasoning behind implementing 5S in the workplace and why sorting is important
- how to arrange the workplace to make it more efficient and productive
- why and how to make items easily identifiable
- the importance of keeping work areas and items clean and of regularly inspecting them for faults
- the three steps involved in standardising
- how to audit and sustain progress
5S is one of the components of the Business Improvement Techniques NVQ (BIT).
- The first S - Sort
- The second S - Set in order
- The third S - Shine
- The fourth S - Standardise
- The fifth S - Sustain
The content of this Virtual College course has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines
On completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 2 hours. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like, and there is no limit on how long you can take to do the course.
Companies and employees of organisations of any size wishing to improve productivity.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.